ENGL 102d, Spring 2020
Dr. Alan Hickman
Paper I. Empathy and To Kill a Mockingbird
Assignment due: Sunday, Sept. 27 (Turnitin.com)
For this assignment, you will write a 3-4 page (900-1200 word) paper about empathy in relation to the novel, by Harper Lee, entitled To Kill a Mockingbird. For our purposes, empathy is defined as one’s “ability to understand and share the feelings of another.” To quote Atticus Finch, “You never really understand a man until you consider things from his point of view . . . until you climb into his skin and walk around in it” (30). Your particular focus may be on an identifiable sub-theme in the novel, such as racism or misogyny, but your ideas should be grounded in a close reading of the text.
• The paper is due on Turnitin.com at 12:00 pm, on Sunday, Sept. 27 (see note below).
• To begin, you must first write a thesis. [Example: In To Kill a Mockingbird, Scout’s coming-of-age (her development as an empathetic young woman) is demonstrated in her interaction, in two pivotal scenes, with Walter Cunningham and with Walter’s father, Mr. Cunningham.]
• You may use your responses on the Discussion Board and those of your classmates as inspiration for your text. Always indicate another writer’s words in quotation marks.
• You are welcome to quote, both from the text of the novel and from the articles I have given you links to on the syllabus. If you intend to use other sources, these must be cleared with me.
• Do not simply retell the story. A summary of a literary work is called a précis; you are writing a thesis-driven essay, not a précis. Use summary and other plot details only as they serve to illustrate your thesis.
• Assignments should be submitted in the form I have outlined in my handout on “Formatting Your Essays” (see Content Area of Blackboard). MLA form does NOT call for a title sheet.
Turnitin Class IDs and Enrollment key:
ENGL 102b: 26473618
ENGL 102d: 26472948
Enrollment key: dubai
Cite the novel in this way:
Lee, Harper. To Kill a Mockingbird. 30 Mar. 2005. Google Docs, https://docs.google.com/document/d/1P3Wksc5XzlprNE8s6g5EPHbwj3jm_YvQx91tXn H_yzM/edit.
Such a cheap price for your free time and healthy sleep
All online transactions are done using all major Credit Cards or Electronic Check through PayPal. These are safe, secure, and efficient online payment methods.