1. Demonstrate overall Human Resource concepts, goals and strategies within the context of organizations goals and strategies (Lo 1.1).
2. Ability to carry out objective and scientific analysis of Employees’ performance management (Lo 2.3 & 2.6).
Assignment- 2 CASE STUDY 10
Imagine you’re the VP of Human resources for a Fortunate 100 company. You’ve spent your entire career attempting to enhance the workplace for employees to support their productive work in the organization. While you understand that bottom-line decisions often dominate many of the matters you have to address. You have worked hard to ensure that the employees were treated with respect and dignity in all interactions that affected them. You aligned the hiring process to serve the strategic needs of the organization, as well as implemented an effective performance management system. You truly believe in the progress you’ve made in helping the organization achieve its goals. You simply couldn’t imagine doing things differently. However, concern that the performance management process is becoming less effective because managers are inflating employee ratings has led 15 percent of all large organizations to adjust their performance management to what is frequently called “rank and yank”. Under such a system, managers are evaluated as 1, 2, 3 or 4, with 1 being the highest rating and 4 the lowest. In many cases, managers are required to give a 4 rating to the lowest 10 percent of employees each year. Those individuals receiving a rating of 4 for two consecutive years are often let go from the organization.
The intent behind this system is that the throughout the two year process, evaluators are to meet frequently with the four employees, counsel them and provide necessary development opportunities. Employees in organizations that employ such a performance management system often view this process unbearable. They view the performance management process as punitive, one in which the organization is attempting to rid itself of higher-paid older workers. In at least one case, Ford Motor Company employees have filed a lawsuit to stop this practice¬¬¬¬¬¬¬—and prevailed .Ford removed the punitive nature of its evaluation system—and focused it more on counselling and performance improvement of the lowest-rated employees rather than elimination from the organization.
Source: Textbook- DeCenzo, D. A., & Robbins, S. P. (2013). Human resource management
1. What type of evaluation process would you say is being used in this case? Explain this evaluation process.[ Marks 2]
2. What effect, if any, do you believe rank and yank evaluations have on managers? Do you see these effects as positive or negative? Defend your position.[ 3]
3. What role does such a system have in distorting performance appraisals?[Marks 2.5]
4. Write your suggestions/opinions to create better performance appraisal system in the Organization. [Marks 2.5]
Such a cheap price for your free time and healthy sleep
All online transactions are done using all major Credit Cards or Electronic Check through PayPal. These are safe, secure, and efficient online payment methods.